Be they well-meaning loved ones, or pushy health-nuts looking to make a buck for their latest business venture, we’ve all encountered that one person who swears they have the cure for our diabetes
#FunnyNotFunnyFACT: Diabetes can NOT be cured with alternative medicine. So in our effort to help ‘make diabetes suck less’, and in honor of these diabetic monster fans who like to troll the internet with their unsolicited advice and colorful products, here is a list of 5 things guaranteed NOT to cure diabetes.
- Okra – it’s a slimy vegetable well loved in the south but it’s not a miracle cure for diabetes. Not in raw form, cooked, boiled, drank as a gross okra-tini (#vom), or stewed. It will not cure you here or there, it will not cure you anywhere.
- Cinnamon, Turmeric, or Black Pepper – let’s take a wild leap and assume that the cure to a chronic health condition plaguing mankind for centuries is not sitting in our spice cabinet. I mean can we just not.
- Swedish Massage, Chiropractic Care, Yoga – But we're down for some testing of the theory…MASSAGES FOR EVERYONE! Who’s with us?
- Eating Paleo, Keto, Vegan, Fruitarian, & Intermittent Fasting – Waxing a bit more serious here, there is huge value-added to adjusting your diet towards a healthier direction. We support you. But be smart, work with your doctors, and tell your pushy hipster friends it’s not a cure. It may help you better manage your diabetes, but let me repeat, it is not a cure. And there is no one size fits all when it comes to differing meal plans. Experiment and find out what works for you.
- Colorful Drinks, Unicorn tears, & Pixie Dust - I don’t care what color it is, it’s not a cure. Sparkly fads are just that, fads. Auto-immune attacks on the body aren’t ‘cured’ by ingesting mystical ingredients any more than eating a cookie last Tuesday “caused” your diabetes to begin with. Let’s just top the insanity, shall we?